Yay...we are no longer the neighborhood fishbowl. Roman shades are up and completed. Here is a brief description of the process of making the shades. For a step by step tutorial and video directions, please visit http://www.terrelldesigns.com/. She makes it clear on how to assemble your shades.
I took the Ikea panels that I purchased for the bay windows and deconstructed them based on the size of the roman shade I was making. The panels came with the front fabric layer as well as a second privacy panel which I reused for my roman shades.
Once cut, I sewed the front fabric to the back privacy panel so that it resembled a big tube. Then, I glued the wood battens to the back of the front panel. Once the glue dried, I turned the shades right side out and sewed on the lift rings to the back of the shade around the battens.
I created a mounting board out of firring strips that I had on hand left over from from studding out the mudroom. I used eye hooks to run the cords through. (mounting board not shown here...I must have forgotten to snap a separate photo of it).
Once I strung the cords through the lift rings that I hand sewed on the fabric around the wood battens and up through the eye hooks, I then drilled the mounting boards into the top of the window frames. They fit nice and snug.